Subscribe to our Newsletter

Moaby (Mobey), Mrs

Back to performers

Gender: Female

Brian Ballinger visited Mr and Mrs Fred Moaby in Quenington on 16 November 1957.They had heard of numerous folk songs from their parents on both sides. Brian Ballinger spelled their surname ‘Mobey’ which had been used by a previous generation but the more usual spelling was ‘Moaby’. Fred Moaby had known The Bonny Bunch Of Roses and Mary Of The Wild Moor from his father but had forgotten the tunes. Mrs Moaby sang The Magpie which she learned at harvest home near Cheltenham and Bold Robin Hood and also sang the tale of a boy and the vicar – The Parson’s Sheep.

Frederick John Moaby

Frederick John Moaby was born in 1883, the son of Henry Moaby, an agricultural labourer born in Coln St Aldwyn, and his wife, Fanny, formerly Tombs. Henry was baptised in Coln St Aldwyn on 9 February 1859, the son of Joseph Moaby and his wife, Sarah, formerly Ricketts. Fred’s father, Henry, married Fanny Tombs from Kempsford in 1882 in the Northleach registration district which included Coln St Aldwyn. By 1891 they were living in the village in Coln St Aldwyn, where Henry was working as an agricultural labourer, with Fred and four other children, Henry born about 1883, Frenella born about 1888, Joseph born about 1889 and Blanche born 1891. Al the children were born in Coln St Aldwyn. Another son, Wellesley George Moaby was baptised in Coln St Aldwyn on 6 June 1897.

By 1901 Fred Moaby had left home and was one of five stablemen living with the stud groom and his wife, who were also from Gloucestershire, in rooms over stables at Hungerton, Leicestershire, at Baggrave Hall, the home of Henry Wellesley, Earl Cowley, J P for Wiltshire. Fred Moaby married Agnes Eva Fardon from Temple Guiting in 1906 at Coln St Aldwyns. By 1901 they were living in Quenington with two children, Evelyn Kelly born about 1907 in Quenington and Kathleen Eleanor born about 1909 in Hatherop . Fred was working as a farm labourer but the census also has ’groom out of employment’ written in and then crossed out as his occupation. Fred’s father, Henry was still working as a labourer in 1912 when Fred’s brother, Joseph was married in Coln St Aldwyns and in 1927 at his son Wellesley George Moaby’s wedding he was described as a roadman. Fred and Agnes Eva Moaby had at least four more children, Sylvia Edith Moaby in 1912, William Frederick James Mobey about 1915, Cyril H. Moaby in 1921 and Pamela Joyce in 1927. Frederick John Moaby of The Cottage Quenington died on 20 October 1963 in Fairford Hospital.

Fred’s children

Fred Moaby’s daughter, Kathleen Eleanor Moaby, married Frederick John Ferris, a labourer of Quenington on 27 October 1928. At that time Fred Moaby was stated to be a gardener and no father was given for Frederick John Ferris. They probably had a daughter, Evelyn R. Ferriss in 1930 in the Cirencester registration district.

Fred Moaby’s daughter, Sylvia Edith Moaby of Quenington, married Thomas John Herbert, a baker and son of a baker, on 6 June 1938 in Quenington when Fred Moaby was described as a gamekeeper. Sylvia Herbert died in 2007 in Swindon when her birth date was given as 10 December 1916.

Fred Moaby’s son, William Frederick James Moaby, enlisted as a gunner in the Royal Artillery, 52 The Bedfordshire Yeomanry, Heavy Field Regt. in World War II but died of his wounds on 13 August 1941 and was buried in Quenington Cemetery.

Fred’s daughter, Pamela Joyce Moaby, married Alan D. Holland in 1953 in

the Cirencester registration district which then included Coln St Aldwyn. When her father died in 1963 probate was granted to her and her husband who was then working as a clothing store manager.

Agnes Eva Moaby

Agnes Eva Moaby was born Agnes Eva Fardon at Temple Guiting, the daughter of Frederick James Fardon, a blacksmith, and his wife, Emma, and she was baptised there on 1 September 1889. Her family had lived in Temple Guiting for some time: her grandfather and great grandfather were both blacksmiths there. Her father was baptised in Temple Guiting on 19 April 1874, the son of James and Martha Fardon and her grandfather, James, was also baptised there on 30 December 1821 , the son of William and Martha Fardon although he had been born in Toddington. In 1901 Agnes was living with her parents at 51 Wells Head Farm, Temple Guiting. She was the youngest in the family and had three sisters, Mary H. Fardon born about 1881, a domestic servant born at Hawling, Margarett H. Fardon born about 1887 and Constance A. Fardon born about 1889 and a brother Frederick J. Fardon born about 1892. By 1901 Agnes had left home and was living in Cecily Hills, Cirencester, working as a kitchen maid in the house of James W. Kenyon from Yorkshire. In 1906 she married Fred Moaby – see above. Agnes Eva Moaby died in 1958 in the Cirencester registration district.

Notes by Carol Davies July 2015